When will the Neutrino Light Client for the Lightning Network be released?

Discussion in 'General Bitcoin Gambling Discussion' started by Toast, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Toast

Toast Member

I've been reading a lot of positive reports on the Lightning Network and people seem to be using it to do everything from buying articles on Yalls.org to buying stickers and merchandise from the Blockstream Store. I would love to give it a try but it seems right now that you can only use Lightning payments if you a bitcoin full node and a lightning node setup on your machine.

My ISP sucks so I don't really have enough of a data cap to download and run the full bitcoin blockchain. I read about a light client called Neutrino that would work from desktops and smartphones without running a full node but I can't find any information on when it will be released. I'd be happy even to run a beta version to test it because I only plan to put a couple of dollars in my lightning channel to begin with to play around with it.

Does anyone know when it will be released and will the first version run on iOS and Android?

2. Humble Servant

Humble Servant Active Member Staff Member

I am eager to try LN too but I'm too lazy and technically illiterate to figure out how to run both full nodes so I'm waiting for them to release this app also. From listening to Lightning Labs developers like Elizabeth Stark and Olaoluwa Osuntokun, it seems that they never give firm dates for releases of products. Basically, it will be ready when it's ready and they are happy that it is working well enough that people can use it without losing money. While they haven't given any deadlines, I'd be very surprised if we don't see a beta version in the first half of 2019.

3. Humble Servant

4. Humble Servant

There's a new non custodial Lightning payment apps for iOS and Android that is even better and easier to use than BlueWallet. It's already on Google Play and should appear on the iTunes App Store in the next week or two.

5. Toast

Toast Member

i saw a video demo of the neutrino client on twitter last week so i'm guessing that the release can't be too far away. if i can find the video i will add it here.

6. Humble Servant

A pre alpha version of the Neutrino Client is now available on iOS. Unfortunately, it only works on testnet for now. You can try it by downing the Testflight app for iOS and adding the Lightning Labs app.

7. SuckIt

SuckIt Member

Lightning using Neutrino has already launched. You can download the client here.

8. Toast

Toast Member

when are zap going to release a mainnet client? at this stage people aren't really interested in testnet lightning.