Can I bet on the Winklevoss ETF getting SEC approval?

Discussion in 'General Bitcoin Gambling Discussion' started by Wonka, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Wonka

Wonka Member

The two Winklevoss twins have been busy trying to get their $COIN bitcoin ETF approved by the Standards and Exchange Commission (SEC) for the past three years. The SEC has been delaying making a decision on the BTC ETF and asking for further comment but the the final deadline of March 11th, 2017 is now fast approaching.

Personally I don't think the Winklevoss ETF stands a chance as the market is still too immature. The threat posed by a potential Bitcoin Unlimited hardfork means it is also far to risky to list a bitcoin ETF on a stock exchange right now. For these reasons I would like to bet against the $COIN ETF getting approved but I can't find betting lines being offered on any of the major bookmakers like CloudBet or Nitrogen Sports? Does anyone know where I can find betting odds?

2. Humble Servant

Humble Servant Active Member Staff Member

Yes, BitMEX have launched a futures contract that allows anyone to gamble on whether the Winklevoss $COIN ETF will get approved by the Securities and Exchange Commission (ETF) in March. At the moment the odds of it getting approved are fluctuating between 25% and 35%, which is better odds than most analysts give the ETF of getting approved.

3. EthHead

EthHead Member

Most analysts seem to be saying that the ETF has about a 15% chance of approval yet the price of BTC seems to be skyrocketing. Why is this? Are there insiders who know more about what the SEC is planning to do? Judging by the price increase it looks like the ETF has a much better chance of approval.

4. Humble Servant

The price of bitcoin will probably fluctuate greatly over the next week in the run up to the Fed decision on the bitcoin ETF. If it is not approved on Monday 13th of March then I would expect the price of bitcoin to go back below $1,000 so please convert your bitcoin to dollars now if you do not want to take that risk.

5. Humble Servant

It has been confirmed that the SEC will make their decision today. Make your bets.

6. 2damoon

2damoon Member

I hope people didn't believe the hype and lose their shirts betting that the SEC would approve. It was always a long shot.

7. Toast

Toast Member

I know the SEC voted against approving a BTC ETF but when can they reapply? I presume if the Winklevoss twins take on board the feedback and make some adjustments, they will be able to try again next year?

8. Humble Servant

Now that bitcoin futures are being offered by CME and CBOE (with the NYSE soon) it increases the likelihood that an ETF will get approved in the near future.