Does PokerStars and Full Tilt Poker accept bitcoin?

Discussion in 'Bitcoin Poker' started by PokerGod, Jun 22, 2016.

1. PokerGod

PokerGod Member

I've just looked at the banking options for PokerStars and I don't see bitcoin listed as a deposit or withdrawal option. Why would the world's biggest online poker room not accept bitcoin when Bovada, BetOnline and Americas Cardroom all do? Normally PokerStars leads the way with this type of thing.

2. Humble Servant

Humble Servant Member Staff Member

No, at present neither PokerStars nor Full Tilt Poker accept btc. This may have something to do with the fact that they both have their gambling licences from the Isle of Man Gambling Supervision Commission who do not at present permit their gambling operators to accept any form of crypto-currency. The good news is the gambling commission is in the process of updating their rulebook to permit bitcoin to permit BTC providing each site puts in place adequate safeguards to protect their players bitcoin.

3. Lance

Lance Member

if pokerstars adds btc does that mean players from the united states will be able to play there again? competition was much softer when they allowed players from the usa.

4. Humble Servant

100% NO. If PokerStars started to accept bitcoin you can be pretty sure there would be a very lengthy KYC process for btc depositors. They have just been granted a license to operate in New Jersey so they would be terrified of any controversy again that might jeopardize that.

5. EthHead

EthHead Member

What if I am just a recreational player that doesn't care about making a withdrawal? Maybe bitcoin would be a good way for any U.S. players to sign-up if they only want to play for pleasure.

6. Humble Servant

PokerStars and Full Tilt also block players on United States IP addresses so depositing with bitcoin still won't help you.

7. PokerGod

PokerGod Member

What if I use a VPN that points to the UK?

8. Humble Servant

Both PokerStars and Full Tilt monitor the I.P. addresses used by VPN's. If you use a VPN to pretend you live outside the United States and they catch you then they will probably freeze your account and keep your money.

9. SuckIt

SuckIt Member

PokerStars is just starting to renter the U.S. market so the last thing they need is regulators breathing down their necks because of shady crypto-currency payments.

10. Humble Servant

PokerStars and Full Tilt could start accepting bitcoin sooner than you think. UK betting site NetBet became the first UK regulated and licensed gambling operator to welcome BTC deposits.

11. PokerGod

PokerGod Member

It should be pointed out that NetBet Poker does now allow you to withdraw with btc also. They only facilitate btc deposits via BitPay.

12. EthHead

EthHead Member

both skrill and neteller accept bitcoin deposits now so can't you just use their service as a workaround to deposit with btc at pokerstars and full tilt?

13. Doyle

Doyle Member

Unless they accept bitcoin and anonymous players then it's useless to players in the US who will still be blocked by IP or during the AML/KYC.

14. Humble Servant

Since many professional poker players are increasingly getting into cryptocurrencies, I would be surprised if both PokerStars and Full Tilt do not start accept a range of cryptocurrencies like BTC, Dash, Litecoin, Monero and Ethereum in 2018.