WARNING: Avoid these SegWit2X wallets and exchanges

Discussion in 'General Bitcoin Gambling Discussion' started by Humble Servant, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Humble Servant

Humble Servant Active Member Staff Member

Sometime in the middle of November 2017, a group of bitcoin miners and companiens are planning a hardfork that is not supported by the majority of the ecosystem. It seems likely that this hardfork will not have strong replay protection so anyone making a transaction after the hardfork could end up losing their money. The Bitcoin Core developers have denounced the hardfork and Bitcoin.org have issued a list of bitcoin companies that should to be avoided.

It is best to avoid the following bitcoin wallets and exchanges for the foreseeable future until this issue is resolved.

BLACKLISTED WALLETS
    Blockchain.info
    Abra
    Xapo
    Circle
    Coinbase
    BitPesa
    Bitcoin.com

BLACKLISTED EXCHANGES
    Bitex
    bitFlyer
    Bitso
    BTCC
    Coinbase
    Shapeshift

You can find a full list of all the companions to avoid here https://bitcoin.org/en/alert/2017-10-09-segwit2x-safety

2. Hernia

Hernia Member

according to the futures markets, the 2x coin will have about 1/6th of less of the value of the legacy chain. what wallets and exchanges can i use to ensure that i don't end up with coins that are worth a fraction of the original bitcoin?

3. Wonka

Wonka Member

If you are on Android then you should use Samourai wallet https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.samourai.wallet&hl=en

iPhone users can use https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/greenaddress-bitcoin-wallet/id1206035886?mt=8

Both of these wallets use Bitcoin Core nodes so you can be sure that you will be getting and sending real bitcoin and not the B2X coin.

4. i really hope that blockchain.info go out of business because of this. those guys are completely irrelevant and peter smith is a complete idiot. anybody using the blockchain.info wallet is a fool who deserves to lose all their money.

5. Kaboom

Kaboom Member

why is circle on the list. i don't think they even support bitcoin anymore.

6. Terry

Terry Member

how that the segwit2x hardfork has been called off, is it safe to use these wallets again?

7. Humble Servant

Humble Servant Active Member Staff Member

It is safe to use them, however, I would not use the Blockchain.info wallet every because they have had too many security problems in the past so you should avoid them.

8. Doyle

Doyle Member

Coinbase say they are now in the last stages of adding segwit but it's too little too late as far as I'm concerned.

9. Toast

Toast Member

Yes, Coinbase is terrible and Brian Armstrong is an enemy of bitcoin. He sold his soul to Ethereum a long time ago and now he's shilling Bcash. The north remembers. Plus, they're incompetent and have no customer support.