What is the best bitcoin hardware wallet - Trezor, KeepKey or Ledger?

Discussion in 'General Bitcoin Gambling Discussion' started by 4TheWin, Sep 23, 2016.

1. 4TheWin

4TheWin Member

I was using Bitfinex to buy my gambling bitoin when they got hacked so I ended up losing about a third of my BTC. This was a wakeup call for me so I've decided to buy a hardware wallet to keep my coins safe until I need to transfer them to a betting site. From my research I've discovered that right now there seems to be 3 main brands of bitcoin hardware wallet - Trezor, Ledger Nano and KeepKey. Reviews for all three are very positive so I was wondering what your experiences were with these wallets and which one would you recommend?

My first impression is that Trezor looks quiet dated compared to the other two.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2017
  2. Dara

Dara Member

i have a keepkeey hardware wallet, which i love even though it's a little clunky compared to the trezor and ledger nano. i think it's safer than the trezor or ledge nano because if you need to restore the device using the passphrase you can do so via the device. the trezor requires you to reenter each of the 12 or 24 seed words as they are into your pc or mac which is a security concern.

3. Kaboom

Kaboom Member

Trezor wallets are still my favourite because you can set-up hidden accounts so even if someone cracks your PIN they will not be able to see where the majority of your bitcoin is stored. This also allows you to have plausible deniability if thieves or government forces ever force you to login to your account.

4. SuckIt

SuckIt Member

Has anyone used an OpenDime? Would that quality as a hardware wallet?

5. Humble Servant

Humble Servant Active Member Staff Member

I guess you would call OpenDime a hardware wallet because it's a piece of hardware. I think the device is aimed more at people who want to transfer bitcoin rather than store btc. Also, the device is not reusable. Once you break the seal to reveal the private key the device is no longer secure.

6. Humble Servant

Ledger have just announced the following upgrade to the Ledger Nano S. The latest 1.2 Firmware update includes the addition of a 25th word passphrase similar to Trezor and a new feature called Duress Pin.

7. Gooch

Gooch Member

I'm tempted to buy a Nano S but I think I'll wait until the Trezor 2.0 with a touchscreen is released. Satoshi Labs are still the smartest guys in the space in my opinion.

8. Freddy

Freddy Member

how durable are these things? if i leave my hardware wallet in my jeans when i wash them are my bitcoin lost?

9. Humble Servant

They are extremely durable. I've seen videos of bitcoin wallets being dropped into glasses of water or from the second floor of a building and still functioning after. Andreas Antonopoulos has even tweeted about putting his Trezor in a wash cycle for 45 minutes and it working perfectly after.

10. 2damoon

2damoon Member

The latest version of the Nano S supports duress pin numbers and a 25th password so it gets my vote until the new Trezor 2.0 is released.

11. Humble Servant

Have Trezor issued a date for the release of the Trezor 2.0 yet? I bet there will be huge demand. I know at least a dozen people who have held off on buying a new hardware wallet until the Trezor comes out.

12. Pony

Pony Member

I'm glad you can finally add a passphrase to the Ledger wallet. That was the one thing stopping me from buying one.

13. Humble Servant

Do you have to enter the pass phrase using the two tiny buttons on top of the Ledger Nano?

14. Yes, but only once time if you prefer. To make things easier I think you can link the passphrase to a pin number so you don't have to type it in every time.

15. uglymug

uglymug Member

i recently heard that the trezor is open source and you can review the code you are running, while ledgerwallet is closed source so you're never quiet sure what's happening. is this true?

16. Toast

Toast Member

Has anyone bought the https://digitalbitbox.com hardware wallet? Trezor and the Ledger Nano seem to get all the publicity but people never talk about the Digital Bitbox. Why is that? I really like the simple design.

17. PokerGod

PokerGod Member

the video looks really cool but i've never heard of the digital bitbox brand, which is a little worrying. does anyone know who's behind it? i'm not going to transfer my coins to a device from an unknown company.

18. EthHead

EthHead Member

19. Humble Servant

The developers of OpenDime will soon be releasing a full hardware wallet. We're big fans of OpenDime so this is exciting news....

20. EvilK

EvilK Member

I was hoping my brand new Trezor Model T would be delivered this month (January, 2018) but Trezor have revealed that they won't ship now until February because they are still doing some work on the software and they understandably want to be sure that everything works before they deliver. This blog post does give a brief demo of the software and I have to say that it looks great.

https://blog.trezor.io/trezor-model-t-december-2017-updates-88e45e176dc2